Saturday, January 13, 2007

Krispy Kreme & Flux Capacitors




We had a good time together yesterday, and I thought I'd share some photos. As you can see in the first pic, Will got his first opportunity to go to Krispy Kreme Donuts by our house. He loved watching the donut life-cycle (especially the part where the donuts are flipped over to cook the other side). Blake's getting bigger. He's rolling from front-to-back and back-to-front. We have to be careful now because if you're not watching, he'll roll across the room before you know it. He loves to watch and laugh at Will, and Will loves to oblige. This Thursday starts the Spring Semester at Seminary, and it already looks like a lot of reading (maybe more than last semester).

We're getting an ice storm today, which stinks. It's kind of a slap in the face to go on top of the 3 weeks of fresh snow in Denver that I'm jealous of. Even though I know God brought us here in his timing, I wish I could have been there for the incredible sledding and skiing we could have enjoyed. When I kept hearing the news reports about the snow in Denver, all I could think was "Fresh Powder"!

I've read many people's blogs lately, and it seems a lot of them are talking about resolutions. For me, I don't need a resolution, I need a revolution. (Kind of catchy, huh) My life's been in a state of flux lately, and I feel very confused. I want my relationship with God to grow deeper, but honestly, I don't always want to put forth the effort to see it happen. It's like wanting a really good meal and having all the ingredients but being too lazy to get up and make it, so you end up eating grilled cheese and spaghettio's instead. I'm working through this, and a very powerful book (in addition to the Bible) that I've read on the subject has been helpful. It's called "When I Don't Desire God" and it talks about fighting for joy. I highly recommend this book by John Piper. If you've read Piper before, you know that his stuff can be weighty, but to use another analogy, you can't be a body-builder if all you do is workout with fluffy pillows. (I should start collecting these Keithisms...okay, maybe not) Anyhow, I write all this to encourage those of you out there who may be struggling as well. Keep trying. Don't give up.

I've been reading the book of Job. Maybe these verses can tie all this rambling together.

Job's state of flux (Job 29:4): "Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God's intimate friendship blessed my house,"

Elihu's encouragement (Job 36:15-16): "But those who suffer he delivers in their suffering; he speaks to them in their affliction. He is wooing you from the jaws of distress to a spacious place free from restriction,"

Job's final words (Job 42:5): "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you."

No comments: