Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Write Stuff


As you well know, I'm a writer at the seminary. People often ask me about the job, so I thought I'd give you some insight. Most of the time I think the title sounds more glamorous than the job really is. People hear "writer" and they get the idea that I'm some novelist who pumps out brilliant text. In reality, I mostly pump out news releases, write articles for the student newsletters and magazines, and write "copy" for advertisements/marketing material. Even though I'm not writing something with Fabio on the cover, I enjoy it.

At any rate, the job is going very well. I work with some incredibly talented people (makes me feel kinda out of place at times). They're also a lot of fun to work with, which makes the stressful moments a little more manageable. Some things are more interesting to write than others, but that's to be expected. One of my most exciting articles to write was about a Navy chaplain and the 9 salvations his ship saw while on a 7 1/2 month tour in Iraq. (see article and companion video to the article at http://www.swbts.edu/email/20071005.html)

The job feels like a good fit. They keep giving me writing assignments, so that must be a good sign. :) You can always check out what I write if you'd like. Our newest edition of the seminary magazine just came out (my first magazine), and you can read it online at http://www.swbts.edu/swnews/. You can also read news releases at http://www.swbts.edu/pressreleases/releases.cfm.

Continue to pray for us. Working, schooling, internship, etc. eats up a lot of time and energy. I struggle with not having the time I want with Amy and the kids and time to reflect and process what I'm learning. At the same time, I don't want to be in school for 5 years, so I must press on. Pray that I will be efficient with my time and keep my priorities where they should be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

chin up, keith. maybe someday you'll be able to write for one of those fabio books. or better yet, pose on the cover. :-D

Mathematical Mama said...

What's so bad about being in school for 5 years?

kman said...

Nothing is wrong with being in school for 5 years, but it's just not what I want to do. If that's how long it takes, I guess I'd be okay with it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Keith! out of the blue I thought I'd drop in and check on you via blog. It kinda blows my mind to think about how much God has done since Summit D Day. The challenges, the discomfort, the growing pains, the kicking and screaming.....seems like a long time ago, doesn't it? Anyway, your new position sounds great! Had time for any 80s parties lately? :) Nancy