Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer is here!


Okay...I know it's been a while since I last wrote, but I have been traveling (out of state twice), working (cranking out another magazine) and doing school (finishing the semester, doing a 2-week I-term, and taking a summer school class), so it's been pretty busy. Here' s a recap of what I've been up to:

Colorado:
Amy and the kids and I went to Colorado to see friends and family as well as make continued church planting connections. We're not going to be out of school for another year and a half or so, but we wanted to keep the relationships we've built going.

Being in Colorado was like being home again. The weather was beautiful and we had an incredible time with the people there. I was going to take the boys up into the mountains on Memorial Day, but the rain kept us from going. I gathered some info about the area we're looking at planting in. I met a couple of church planters in the area. I have to say that I feel completely inadequate to take on this task. God reminded me that Gideon felt the same way. There's a lot of areas I still need to let God work on in my life before we start, so pray for me as we prepare.

Indianapolis:
I went to the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) annual meeting in Indianapolis last week. People ask me how it was, and I guess you could say it was as good as a giant business meeting can be with some additional highlights mixed in. There were no knock-down-drag-out fights, and there seemed to be a constant theme of seeking reconciliation and revival. Now comes the time where we see if anyone was listening and will be obedient.

While there, I got to see a pre-screening of the upcoming movie "Fireproof," which is made by the same people who made "Facing the Giants." The acting was a thousand times better than "Facing the Giants" and the story line was incredible. It's about a fire-fighter (played by Kirk Cameron, but in a role like you've never seen him before) whose marriage is spiraling towards divorce. Along the way, he takes a challenge from his father to try to salvage the marriage and becomes a Christian in the process. There is a clear presentation of the Gospel, and I would highly recommend this to anyone. It comes out in September, but you can check out a trailer at http://www.fireproofthemovie.com/.

What's Next
As for the rest of the summer, we'll be going to New Mexico in July to visit Amy's mom's side of the family. Will, Blake, and I have birthdays in July, so we'll do birthday parties and everything. In August, I'll be going to Sturgis, South Dakota with the seminary to do some evangelism & ministry at the biker rally...I'm taking motorcycle classes before I go so I will have my license and be able to ride while I'm there. I know what you're thinking...Keith and Harleys don't mix well...who knows, I may come back with tatoos and lots of leather.

3 comments:

Amy Colon said...

Hey Keith--
Here's some people you need to meet.
Rob Harter
http://larkridgechurch.com/
They're meeting at Vista Ridge Academy right now. Their Community Care Pastor (Roger Whitmore) also tried to start a church in the area before he came on staff. He can give you some insight on the place.
kc

kman said...

I actually met Roger at Starbucks when I was meeting with another church planter guy. He gave me his card, and I hope to follow up with him.

Anonymous said...

"...I may come back with tatoos and lots of leather" I think I might like that ;)

-A