Saturday, April 14, 2007

Don't Waste Your Life!


A startling command, huh? To be able to accomplish such a feat, it's probably important to know what types of things lead to a wasted life. Pop quiz: what comes to mind when you think of someone wasting their life? Let me toss out a couple of popular answers: addictions (drug, alcholics, workaholics, etc.), selfish pursuits, laziness, undisciplined, poor decision making...
No one wants to come to the end of their life and realize that they've wasted it on things that do not matter. So, what really matters in life? I think far too often, we in the Church get the answer only partially right. Most Christians would say that being a Christian and "living for God" is what really matters in life. This is undeniably true, but the "living for God" is where I think many often short-change themselves and actually end up wasting their lives. Living for the glory of God means living for something more than yourself. It means more than having a comfortable life, enjoying time with your family, working hard at your job, and being involved with a local church. I would say that the majority of our culture does this, and they're not Christians, and they're wasting their lives.
What makes you as a Christian any different than your co-workers or family members that don't know Jesus. I felt the wind knocked out of me when I read these words by the author of the book pictured above: "Even sinners work hard, avoid gross sin, watch TV at night, and do fun stuff on the weekend. What more are you doing than the others?" If my goals are the same as theirs, why would they want Jesus?
I'm hoping to re-read this book this summer. I have a link to a website that has short videos and a blog to help people hash out what it means to live an unwasted life. I challenge you to visit the website or read the book or gather some friends and do a study on it as a small group. I guarantee it won't be a waste of your time...or your life!

No comments: